Collingwood Neighbourhood House (CNH) provides services and community development initiatives aimed at improving the quality of life of residents in the Renfrew-Collingwood area of east Vancouver.
Activities are targeted primarily to low and middle income families. Services are delivered in a variety of languages with emphasis on building social connections, capacity, cross-cultural sharing and life-long learning. Residents of all ages participate in educational, cultural, social, health, economic and recreational services, as well as contribute towards building a safe and caring community through volunteer contributions, leadership and partnership development.
CNH is a non-profit, social services agency serving the community since 1985. We are guided by our vision, mission, and values statements to provide services and opportunities to our community. We offer licensed child care (including $10/day child care), immigrant services, recreation, youth, seniors and intercultural opportunities, including programs related to food, arts and celebrations, community initiatives, intercultural projects, and homelessness outreach.
In 2020, we became the first neighbourhood house in North America to operate a community health centre.
Vision, Mission & Values
Collingwood Neighbourhood House: A place to belong, a place to grow.
CNH’s mission is to promote the well-being of the Renfrew-Collingwood community by providing leadership and working collaboratively with individuals, families, agencies and other groups to develop and support inclusive, innovative, sustainable initiatives and services that respond to the community’s social, educational, economic, health, cultural and recreational needs.
In our work to support our neighbourhood, CNH embraces the following values:
- Our neighbourhood as a place of connection, belonging and inclusion
- Individual strengths and gifts as the foundation of relationships
- Interculturalism and appreciation of our collective diversity
- Co-operation and mutual respect
- Participatory decision-making as a vehicle for empowerment and self-realization
- Social justice and equitable access to a full range of quality community resources
- Integration, partnerships and collaboration with other organizations
To build on our mission at CNH, we have developed a set of community guidelines for our participants, volunteers and staff:
- CNH is all of us! Participants, families and staff
- A place for care, connection, belonging and growth. We work together to make CNH a place where community members can feel safe, welcomed, appreciated and whole.
- We all have the right to be treated with respect, compassion and dignity. Communicate with respect and expect respect in return.
- We are in this together! We can offer thanks when things go well and give feedback about how to improve. When we solve problems together, we help make things better.
高羚活鄰舍中心 (CNH) 社區服務指引
- CNH 是屬於我們所有人的！是參與者、家庭、職員和鄰舍一起讓 CNH 變得朝氣勃勃。
- 一個提供護理、連繫機會、歸屬感和成長空間的地方。我們一起把 CNH 營造成一個社區成員可以感到完全、受歡迎、受重視和滿足的地方。
Lineamientos comunitarios de Collingwood Neighbourhood House (CNH)
¡CNH somos todos! Los participantes, las familias, el personal y los vecinos dan vida a CNH.
Un lugar donde somos importantes, hacemos conexiones, desarrollamos un sentido de pertenencia y crecemos. Trabajamos juntos para hacer de CNH un lugar donde las personas de la comunidad pueden sentirse seguras, aceptadas, apreciadas e íntegras.
Todos tenemos derecho a que nos traten con respeto, compasión y dignidad. Comuníquese con respeto y espere respeto de los demás.
¡Estamos juntos en esto! Podemos agradecer a los demás cuando las cosas van por buen camino y ofrecer consejos sobre cómo mejorar. Cuando resolvemos problemas juntos, ayudamos a mejorar las cosas.
What makes a neighbourhood house unique?
Neighbourhood houses are welcoming places where everyone of any age, nationality and ability can attend, participate, lead, and learn through programs, services and community building. There is something for everyone, at any stage in their life. Throughout Metro Vancouver, neighbourhood houses offer more than 400 programs and services, including those related to: early childhood development, youth, newcomers, seniors, advocacy and social change, and more.
Neighbourhood houses grow alongside people and communities. We encourage and empower people to share ideas and launch new projects in their communities. We also serve as valuable links between local residents and other organizations, such as schools, support services, advocacy groups and multicultural associations.
That willingness and ability to network and collaborate means neighbourhood houses can respond quickly to emerging local needs and changing demographics; they are where unmet needs are met, and where unused community assets are mobilized.