Collingwood Neighbourhood House: A Place to Belong, a Place to Grow.
To promote the well-being of the Collingwood community by providing leadership and working collaboratively with individuals, families, agencies and other groups to develop and support inclusive, innovative, sustainable initiatives and services that respond to the community’s social, educational, economic, health, cultural and recreational needs.
In our work to support our neighbourhood, Collingwood Neighbourhood House embraces the following values:
• Our neighbourhood as a place of connection, belonging and inclusion
• Individual strengths and gifts as the foundation of relationships
• Interculturalism and appreciation of our collective diversity
• Co-operation and mutual respect
• Participatory decision-making as a vehicle for empowerment and self-realization
• Social justice and equitable access to a full range of quality community resources
• Integration, partnerships and collaboration with other organizations
What makes a neighbourhood house unique?
Neighbourhood houses are welcoming places where everyone of any age, nationality and ability can attend, participate, lead, and learn through programs, services and community building. There is something for everyone, at any stage in their life. Throughout Metro Vancouver, neighbourhood houses offer more than 400 programs and services, including those related to: early childhood development, youth, newcomers, seniors, advocacy and social change, and more.
Neighbourhood houses grow alongside people and communities. We encourage and empower people to share ideas and launch new projects in their communities. We also serve as valuable links between local residents and other organizations, such as schools, support services, advocacy groups and multicultural associations.
That willingness and ability to network and collaborate means neighbourhood houses can respond quickly to emerging local needs and changing demographics; they are where unmet needs are met, and where unused community assets are mobilized.